Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Dogs made me do it (write another blog post)

Well, it has been quite an eventful couple of weeks with Storm, mostly.

My uber intelligent border collie mix has exceeded my wildest expectations once again. She has learned (with no assistance from me) to open a door knob using only her mouth. I know, you are probably thinking my language use is flawed and I probably have a lever type door mechanism...No, I mean a door knob!

It took me a couple of these instances to put it together. Let's retrace the crime scenes.

Scene 1: I came home from work and both my dogs were happily awaiting my arrival on the other side of the front door. I knew immediately they had escaped from the room they reside in during the day. Per usual, they found their dog treats and consumed them. Fortunately, the box was almost empty, so no harm done. I chalked it up to the door not being securely latched.

Scene 2: I came home a day later, similar scene. Storm waiting at the door, wagging her tail. I went inside the house and once again thought the door didn't latch. They found the empty treat box and tore up the cardboard.

Scene 3: I decided to secure the door with a piece of thick ribbon and tie it to another door. My dad stopped by to take them for a walk a mere hour after I went to work AND once again the dogs were waiting at the door for him. They had found some other dog treats and had consumed them. Dad secured the door with a bungee cord.

This worked for one day. I had brought in a new box of treats and placed it in the usual location....

Scene 4: I arrived home that evening to again find the lovely labradors celebrating my homecoming. I went in the house and found a very large treat box (usually lasts about 2 months) 3/4 of the way consumed. Both dogs were extremely bloated, which never produces a peaceful owner.

At this moment, I was quite determined to figure out how dogdini had accomplished this voodoo. Upon closer investigation, I discovered that the doorknob had lots of scratches on it. I am convinced she has been using her mouth to open the door...if only I could get the video evidence.

That's it for now. I will share with you later about Storm's uncanny talent for finding ants.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! I always get a kick out of hearing about what trouble your dogs are into! Never a dull moment I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete